Why we love it
Ashburnham is one of our favourite little properties in Sri Lanka. It has a very homely feel to it and you can’t help but relax into a slower pace of life once you get there. The first thing we fell in love with were the incredible views, looking out across the 100 acres of tea estate and beyond. The staff are gently, genuine and grateful and this can be seen in their warm smiles. People find it hard to leave Ashburnham, it’s captivating and enchanting. It’s simple, refreshing, charming and offers very good value for money.
Ashburnham is a beautiful boutique hotel set in its own 100-acre tea estate, around an hour north-east of Kandy, in the heart of Sri Lanka’s Cultural Triangle. The estate boasts stunning waterfalls and far reaching views up to and across the Knuckles Mountains and its own lush tea fields, plucked each day.
Ashburnham has a very homely feel with dinner and lounge areas, along with a log fire which is used in the cooler months. The veranda overlooking the valley is the main gathering point for sundowners and meals. When it gets hot there is a swimming pool just a few steps down from the main house or guests can also explore the estate and the two waterfalls located just a 5 minutes’ walk away. The garden offers some quiet corners to sit and read a book or just enjoy the vista.
We must point out at that this is a 1930’s bungalow, so don’t expect 5* luxury or gold taps. It’s quite quirky in parts but we love their individuality and style and think it adds character and depth to any stay.
Highlights and activities
- Head out with Mr Das (Estate Manager) for a tour of the tea plantation.
- Do Reggie’s Cookery Class and cook up a Sri Lankan feast for friends when you get home.
- Take a guided walk with your naturalist up into the foothills of the Knuckles Mountains.
- Take a refreshing dip in the main waterfall or enjoying a G&T at the cascade pool at sundowner time.
- A romantic picnic lunch with sparkling wine at the cascade pool.
- Head off for a day trip to Kandy or Dambulla.