Why we love it
One of the main reasons we love Gal Oya Lodge is because it is remote and they are the only lodge in the whole park. Very few tourists make their way over to Gal Oya and this was the main reason that childhood friends Tim & Sangjay first fell in love with the park and decided to build a safari lodge into the jungle bordering the park. In our opinion, it offers a nature experience unlike anywhere else we know. Stunning mountainous scenery, dense jungles, roaring rivers and vast lakes along with the wildlife that inhabits here. They’ve created some amazing activities to enable guests to experience the surrounding beauty on foot, jeep and boat.
The lodge is built into 24 acres of jungle bordering the park and has a wild feeling to it. There are pathways cut through the jungle which lead to the bedrooms and the main central areas. We love the attention to detail that has gone into the buildings, all of which have been built by local craftsmen using traditional techniques and materials.
The central bar is a great place to come and relax on a sofa and enjoy a drink looking out over the enticing swimming pool and mountains beyond. There are sun loungers around the pool for those who want to relax a while.
Highlights and activities
- Take a guided jungle drive to learn about forest life and stop off for a picnic lunch and a swim in the river.
- Meet the chief of the vedda tribe, the indigenous people of Sri Lanka, and head off on a walk through the forest to learn about their history, hunting techniques and bush craft.
- Jump on a boating safari on Sri Lanka’s largest lake in search of elephants and other wildlife and birdlife.
- Head to the research centre at the lodge to learn about the conservation work going on currently and maybe set some camera traps at night to see what wildlife is passing through camp.
- Meet the head chef and take part in the jungle cookery class.
- Stretch the legs on a bird walk or a hike up one of the nearby mountains.