Why we love it
We love the location, perched on a rock, surrounded by tropical jungle and overlooking Lake Victoria reservoir and mountains beyond, Rukgala is located in one of the most beautiful settings in Sri Lanka. And it’s off the beaten track too, meaning that you very rarely see any other tourists during your stay.
It’s been beautifully renovated and the style of the property is refreshingly unique. The atmosphere is classy but very laid back which helps lend a very relaxed vibe to the place. There is a health and wellness theme running throughout, with delicious locally produced food and drink, swimming and yoga on site and a host of activities on land and water. It’s suited to those who want to learn about, explore and immerse themselves in the local culture and wilderness. You leave feeling refreshed, healthy and energised which is a rare treat on a holiday!
It’s also within close distance of Kandy (45 minutes) so it’s a really good alternative to staying right in the city as you can just do it as a half/full day trip but spend the rest of the time in a much more beautiful setting.
Rukgala can be booked on a B&B basis but as there aren’t many other places to eat nearby we recommend booking on a half-board basis. Drinks and additional meals can be paid for direct at the hotel.
The property is spread across three buildings. The main house which has 4 bedrooms and the central communal living areas of dining room, bar, library and decking area. The garden cottage has four bedrooms and the Lake View House also has four bedrooms. The later come back to the main house for meals.
- In front of the main house is the swimming pool area, which has a shallow area for children. Heading through the trees next to the pool leads you into the shala where daily yoga classes take place.
- Daily yoga activities
- Ayurveda massage treatments
- Canoeing and SUP boarding on the lake
- Guided walks into the hills and to visit to lesser-known temples and remote villages
- Day trips to Kandy, Ashburnham Tea Estate or the Knuckles Mountains.